Saturday, September 26, 2015

About Mouse

Hi, I am Mandy and I love to bake allergy friendly treats. I started this little recipe blog so I could easily share my recipes. I love helping people who live with food allergies find safe and yummy alternatives to eat and share.

I found out I was having problems with certain foods when in 2010 I developed a chronic rash on my hands. It wouldn't go away no matter what cream my doctor prescribed me and it was extremely painful, itchy, and embarrassing. In early 2012 I started eating a gluten free diet and had instant relief. It was awesome, my hands started healing within days. There were also a number of other symptoms I was suffering through (you know, all those yucky tummy issues that go along with gluten related problems) that went away also, hurray!

Later that year I had my baby girl and she had a chronic and sad rash all over her sweet little face and body. Her doctor prescribed me an allergy free diet while I was nursing her (which means no gluten, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, shell fish, and sesame). The diet restrictions were no fun to follow, but not impossible. All that deprivation was worth it because her skin cleared up and we eventually pinpointed her allergy to just eggs.

Around Christmas of 2013 I got a little crazy for a decent gingerbread cookie that was gluten and egg free and really dived into the experimental world of allergy friendly baking head on. I love researching different ingredients and testing them out.

I have naturally and slowly transitioned into a mainly plant-based diet (it is just how I like to eat, what I like experimenting with, and what helps me feel my best), so my older recipes contain some dairy, but the recent ones are all plant-based.

Food allergies and restrictions are no fun, I hope that my recipes will help!